Tuesday, December 10, 2013

I Don't Understand "Christmas"

My wife wanted to put up the Christmas tree the other day, why? Why do we put up a tree?

Why do I have to make a list of stuff I want? Why do I have to spend hundreds of dollars on gifts for my family to celebrate Jesus' birthday?

My in-laws save up money all year to have a big Christmas. They spend equal amounts of money on all their kids and grandkids, even me, an in-law. Each Thanksgiving we are supposed to put about five things on a list that we want for Christmas. I struggled to think of anything I would want, and only came up with two things - a stick to scratch my own back with and work pants. My mother-in-law called my wife the other day and asked her what else I might want because they haven't reached the amount of money they were going to spend on me yet.

This is irritating to me. Just give the money to the poor. Give it to the church. Give it to someone who needs it. I do not need anything. I have a home, food to eat every day. Clothes to wear. I have a wonderful wife and a beuatiful baby girl. I've got parents that are still alive and healthy, a couple of brothers, a niece and nephews. I haven't made a bunch of money this year or been able to buy anything that I want, but that doesn't mean I need to get anything for Jesus' birthday.

Santa Claus, and gift-giving, seem to be in competition with the real meaning of Christmas - Jesus Christ.

There's no doubt, we as Americans place more emphasis on giving gifts, and getting gifts, than focusing on Jesus. This is understandable for a casual, or cultural Christian. But for someone who claims to believe, to live their life according to His will....someone like myself, I just can't bring myself to accept what I am doing to Christmas.

What would Jesus do if he were on the Earth today? Would he be buying gifts for his family and friends? Or would he be taking that money and buying gifts for the poor, or donating it to charity or the church? Wouldn't he be more focused on helping others than helping ourselves?

I've got more than enough. I don't need anymore. I've always felt dirty getting gifts on Christmas. I just don't like it. Of course, I married someone whose 'love language' is receiving gifts. But gifts are fine, I just don't like them for Christmas. I don't want to have to make holiday plans around opening them, and put all the emphasis in the month of December around buying them.

When Christmas day is over, what do you have? You spent Christmas Eve celebrating Jesus, but Christmas day celebrating yourself. Did you spend any of December 25th thinking about how God sent his only son to save us? Or did you unwrap a bunch of stuff that you don't need, eat some dinner and fall asleep?

I don't want to be a Scrooge. Just the opposite, I rather celebrate the season by giving to others. I want to turn Christmas around and put the focus on Jesus' goals, not my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment